Saturday, May 1, 2010

True Story

One night my mother got a call from me at 4 am while I was living in the east village of Manhattan. "I can't sleep" I told her. She told me to write a poem about my troubles and here is what was written. This is one of your only chances to hear me portray myself as a villain. Enjoy...





Thirst forced me from bed to the sink
Feeling a gummy worm under my toe

I paused before sipping my drink
And flicked on the light to see below

What was found was no treat,
What was found was live meat!

"Oh, the chutzpah, the nerve!
to creep in my house!
YOU will DIE, you little perv!"

“But I'm just a mouse…
I have no other choice”
he said, in a pleading voice

“NO other choice? What do you mean?
This is MY house! MY house!
Where I am the queen!

I bought this house with hard earned money!
I buy this food to fill MY tummy!”

"It's hard to buy food when you can't get a job..."
"Oh, so that's your excuse? That’s why you rob?"

...."Even if I could get hired, they wouldn’t let me in the store
Please let me stay! I will do chores!”

“No!No!No! This house is TOO crowded

OUT OUT OUT!!!!” I shouted.

4 comments:

  1. becky. its jennifer. i read each blog post. thanks to holly for referring me. i really enjoyed it all so much. your poetry is creative. please share more. i have been writing slam poetry in my head recently. maybe one day it will come out on paper. but then i would make a fool of myself, so maybe not. i am glad you joined the blog world. love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Becky dear!
    You are such a cutie patootie!!

    ReplyDelete