Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Ramen Veggie Delight

We all know that veggies are good for us; "eat your vegetables" has been pounded into our brains since we were babies. But, sometimes its easier said than done. Am I right?

Getting plenty of good produce requires going to the grocery store more often, and once you've made the mistake of letting good food go to waste, it's easy to prevent that from happening again by just not buying fresh food. That's a mistake, if you ask me.  I avoid letting good food spoil by keeping a running list on the front of my fridge of the fresh produce inside, which is a reminder every time I go to the fridge of what's inside, since sometimes I forget what's in there if it's not visible. And once I eat a food, I cross it off the list. It's a lot easier way to check something off a list than going to dry cleaners or writing a thank you note, too! 

I'm a girl on the go, and most of my foods that I make for myself have to be made quick. This is one of my favorite quick ways to prepare veggies. 

Step one: 
Start ipod, and Chop 'em and start boiling about an inch of water on the stove.
Step 2:
 Place colander on top of boiling water and place veggies inside. It's a good idea to start chopping the vegetables that require a longer cooking time first and get them steaming first and then add in the veggies that cook faster. Here's a list of what I start out with first to last:
Carrots
Broccoli and Cauliflower
 Squash 
Asparagus
Mushrooms

Step 3:
There's usually not enough room for the mushrooms, so I just throw 'em in the water at the last minute

Step 4:
Then I open up a 10 cent Ramen packet with the flavoring of my choice
(it's sorta funny at the grocery store to check out at the register with a bunch of healthy food and a bunch of ramen)
 
Step 5:
I take a bite out of the noodles and discard them
 
Step 6:
I pour the flavor packet in the bowl
(hold your breath if you want to tell me that's 85% of my daily recommended sodium)

Step 7:
I pour in my veggies and add some water

And voila! A yummy dish of filling veggies! Ready in about 15 minutes! 
Step 9: Start chompin'




1 comment:

  1. You know that's like 85% of your daily sodium quota, right? Just kidding! I love this. I served broccoli and carrots last night. I need to do mushrooms more though. Never think to buy them. How about I start a blog of my own by means of commenting at great length on your posts? xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete