Monday, May 3, 2010

Happy Anniversary, Weezie!

Weezie and my story all begins with Paris.
 Paris, the Chinese Crested that my dad met while shopping in Pets Mart, and would visit many weekends with hopes to adopt. Paris was a foster-dog and would be up for adoption when her treatment was compete. However, Paris never went up for adoption, as her foster parents decided to keep her once she became healthy.
 

The news about Paris was a real disappointment, but was accompanied by an option to foster either a Chihuahua or a Chinese Crested named Weezer, who was in transit from New Iberia, Louisiana, where the night before-he was abandoned outside a dog shelter with 2 other dogs, who were killed by a motor vehicle. My dad was giving it a think, but was unsure if he really wanted a dog that was not Paris.

It was a Sunday and I was at the Galleria shopping with Jenny Wilkinson, when Doug called me about his situation. You see, all along while Doug wanted Paris, he was telling me that he had found ME a dog, because I think he was afraid that in wanting another dog for himself, he would be disrespecting his relationship with his Chihuahua, Penny. Penny, who was MY dog, until Doug became extremely attached, and claimed her as his, about a month after I got Penny. I talked with Jenny, and we told Doug to wait until Weezer got to Austin and then he could make up his mind, and see which dog he preferred. After all, we were just going to foster him, we didn't have to keep him forever.

When Weezer got to Austin, Doug met him, and sent this picture. 
I encouraged Doug to bring him to Houston, and at midnight Kelly and I went over to our parents' house and got to meet Weezie for the first time. I fell in love with him pretty quickly after that. We had to be real careful to keep him calm for the first few months because he was sick with heart worms. When he was well, and we were asked if we would like to keep him, and make him officially part of our family, there was no doubt in our minds.  It was a very special day.

Doug's decision that I should have a dog was, at the time, quite unexpected, but, in hindsight, it was one of the best things that ever happened to me. At first, I didn't like his name, but now I love it because it describes him, and he is the most beautiful thing I have ever laid my eyes upon.

Weezer gives purpose to my life, and coming home to him is the happiest part of my day. He is an absolute angel, and I would not trade him for a million dollars, or even a million and one. 

If you ever are in the market for a dog, I would encourage you to get a rescue dog. Every time that I look at Weezie, if he is awake, he is giving me the most adoring eyes. I can do him no wrong, which is always a comfort. He hardly ever complains, and he has never had a single accident in my apartment. 

He is my best friend. 
Here's to one wonderful year. It could have been pretty terrible without you, my Weezie Dearheart. 
I pray for many more to come. 
Thanks, Doug. 

Weezie is a reminder that when things don't turn out as you've envisioned them, a better thing than you might dream of just might be headed your way.

2 comments:

  1. Yay Weezie!!! I still need to meet you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe it's been a year. I remember when you brought him home, Paris, the sip n' see party. Thank you for the journey down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete